During the month of December the Branch held their annual prize giving and Christmas party hosted by Chairperson Roisin Howell. The afternoon began with a display of Music, singing and dancing from members.
- Most improved, U8 Whistle – Aoibhin Byrne and Conor McCartan
- Most Improved, U10 Whistle – Eoghan Breen and Mya Kelly
- Most Improved, U12 Whistle – Marissa Rooney and Shea McGrath
- Most Improved, U15 Whistle – Niall Donnan
- Nancy Rodgers Trophy, Most Improved Flute – Jessica Hayes and Eoin Flynn
- McCawley Family Shield, Most Improved U10 Fiddle – Jude Brannigan and Aoibhe Hastings
- Rush Family Shield, Most Improved U12 Fiddle – Catherine Cousins
- The Paddy Brennan Cup, Best Overall Fiddle – Lorcan Garland
- Willy McCartan Trophy, Most Improved Fiddle, U15 – Cliona Hanna
- TJ’s Gems Award, Most Improved Banjo/Mandolin – Caoimhe Coughlan and Barry Rogan
- Most Improved Beginner Guitar – Cian Maginn and Peter Jennings
- Scullion Perpetual Trophy, Most Improved Guitar – Ciaran Og O’Hare
- Bartley Finnegan Perpetual trophy, Most Improved Bodhran/Drums – Corran Coughlan and Anna-Rose Kelly
- Murray Perpetual Trophy, Most Improved Uilleann Pipes – Luke Savage
- Walsh Perpetual Trophy, Most Improved Concertina – Milo Crean
- Newcastle CCE Accordion Award – Eoghan Breen
- Most Improved Harp – Cathleen Garland
- Cowan Perpetual Award, Most Improved Singing – Realtan Rodgers and Annie Breen
- Overall Set Dancing, U8 – Caitlin McKenna, Rosie O’Connor and Cara Croskery
- Overall Set Dancing, U10 – Rose McGrady, Amy McMurrough and Heidi Keenan
- Overall Set Dancing, U12 – Niamh O’Reilly and Rochelle Campbell
- Sean MacRuairi Cup, Highest marks in County Fleadh – Ruaírí Howell
- Newcastle CCE Shield for Contribution to the Branch – The Barbour Family
- Chairpersons Shield, Members Member of the Year – Vivienne Mulcahy and Niamh Howell
As well as this, some of our members were given the opportunity to attend the Traditional Irish Concert and Workshops hosted by Cavan CCE and Cavan Pipers. This consisted of a top-class recital on Friday the 25th of November in Belturbet Town Hall featuring some of Ireland’s finest musicians. (Louise and Michelle Mulcahy, Mick and Ciara O’Brien and the McKenna Family).
Following this, there was a session in the Seven Horse Shoes Hotel in which our members joined in and played tunes with lots of other musicians. A great night was had by all!
The next morning, they all took part in the workshops and were taught by some of the musicians who played the previous night. There were classes in flute, fiddle, concertina, uilleann pipes and harp.
A big thanks to Hugh Brady and Cavan CCE for organising this event which turned out to be a great success and an enjoyable and rewarding experience for our members.
Dates for your Diary:
Monthly Ceili 13th January – Long Note Ceili Band
Mid Term Break – 16th and 18th February (No Classes)
Nancy Rodgers Workshop – 11 and 12th March
County Concert – Date TBC